Wednesday, August 10, 2005

rdesktop rocks

As you who follow this blog know we support both Linux and Windows for our clients. Utilizing each for their strengths.

As part of the rebuild for my laptop, I partitioned it with Windows XP and Fedora Core 4. I have been using Fedora Core 4 on it almost exclusively. After I went through the pain of converting all my outlook mail, tasks and address book into a non proprietary format it seems silly to go back to putting that into a container that only 1 computer can utilize. So as to date I have not gone back to using Word, Excel, or Outlook, on any of my machines, and have not missed it. I do some work for clients in Access and as such have not found an alternative for it, so I continue to use it as necessary.

However I do need frequently to access Windows machines either on my network or at client sites. For this I have a Windows desktop that works great, but if I am on the laptop I have been shutting down and rebooting into XP. This as you can imagine is a pain.

I know that Microsoft makes an RDP client for the Mac, so I thought I would see if anyone has made a Terminal Services client for Linux. Of course they do :) Its a sourceforge project and a stable released version. Woot ! rdesktop works great for quick and dirty access to my windows remote desktop clients and terminal servers.
rdesktop -fzb
Thanks to the rdesktop team for making Linux even better !

Till Next Time,

Sean Riley
President, DogRiley